Login  Register

PostPosted: 21 Mar, 2007 

Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer

This mod adds naval wreckage, just like TA used to make. Ships and submarines will no longer sink effortlessly below the seafloor, but will instead leave behind charred and twisted wrecks, which are not only picturesque but can be harvested. It was originally suggested by Recon over in this thread.

Note that, like land wreckage, sea wreckage has no clipping and can be passed through by units, which means you can't blockade a harbour by sinking a carrier or two outside it. Sorry.

2007-05-28: Naval Wreckage has been updated for version 1.1.3251, and has been heavily rewritten to fix a number of outstanding bugs.

Ships & T4s:
- explode and sink using the original animations
- leave wreckage behind when they hit the seafloor

Submarines:
- explode and sink when destroyed
- leave a trail of bubbles and the occasional secondary explosion behind on the way down
- leave wreckage behind when they hit the seafloor

"Wagner" amphibious tanks, Fatboys and Collosi:
- leave wreckage on the seafloor when destroyed underwater

Naval buildings:
- explode as normal, but leave wreckage behind (this is a simple WreckageLayers change)

Fixed since 1.1
- Aeon frigates leave wreckage floating on the surface: this was actually a problem in the uas0103_adeath03.scm animation and can be observed in the unmodded game as well. I have disabled this death animation as a workaround.
- UEF Atlantis and Aeon Tempest leave wreckage under the seafloor: this was a result of the mod assuming that (as submarines) they didn't have death animations. The mod now properly handles animations no matter what kind of unit is involved.
- Cybran Destroyer doesn't leave wreckage: this was a problem in the WreckageLayers and has been fixed.

Known Issues
- Riptide-class tanks and other hovercraft don't leave wreckage when destroyed over water.
- Sylph-class attack submarines often leave wreckage below the seafloor (you can still harvest it, but you can't see it). This has something to do with the way the model is designed - its logical location is above its physical location, so when the logical location is on the seafloor, the physical location is under it.
- Cybran Destroyer plays the sinking-in-water sound even if destroyed on land. This is actually a problem in the original game which I'm probably never going to fix; if Salems are getting blown up on land, there's enough happening that you're unlikely to notice an issue with their destruction sound.
- Monkeylord doesn't leave wreckage; unlike other amphibious T4s it has WreckageLayers.Seabed=false. This should be fixed soon.

Download SCD version

SupCommSource mirror will be updated sometime soonish.

Last edited by ToxicFrog on 30 May, 2007, edited 7 times in total.

Sounds sweet, thanks for the effort mate! I'm gonna download this and start using it right away, sounds like free gold to me :-P

Wickidly cool. I'm a fan :)

Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer

nuclear_eclipse wrote:
Sounds sweet, thanks for the effort mate! I'm gonna download this and start using it right away, sounds like free gold to me :-P

It's not free, you still have to destroy the ships before you can harvest all that sweet, sweet mass :P
Let me know what you think, though, and if there's anything that needs fixing.

First, I'd just like to say that you did an awesome job with the mod. This will really help people recover from naval harrasment, plus it just looks a lot cooler than the stuff disappearing.

As far as bugs go, the Cybran Destroyers didn't appear to be leaving any wreckage behind at all. Also, the water was smoking over the wreckage of my sunken Cybran Battleship (although I'll admit that it could simply be an "undocumented feature"). Besides those two little glitches, I didn't notice any problems. However, you might want to tell people to rename the .zip file to a .scd file in the install section. Took my a couple minutes to figure that out

Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: 22 Mar, 2007 

Forum Commander
Forum Commander

A few things.

1)Congratulations with your mod.

2)I didn't rip anything except the comments to make sure everyone in the community would know what happens, I'm not good at writing easy to understand comments. I had almost the same code before I even looked at yours but it had errors and I used your code to fix them.

3)I should have mentioned you it the readme file, asked permission to use your comment lines and code for fixing mine but wat's done is done.

Good luck with getting those issues out.

Works quite good ! However atlantis and tempest will _always_ leave no wreckage when surfaced =/
A weird screenie I made with it :p

-- I told you I could fly this thing!

Neruz wrote:
Works quite good ! However atlantis and tempest will _always_ leave no wreckage when surfaced =/

-- I told you I could fly this thing!

That's awesome! :P

Anywho, I've played a couple basic rounds last night on the map from the tutorial (can't remember it's name offhand), and from what I saw (level 1 and level 2 naval units only), everything seems to be working fine. I did get wreckage from my Cybran destroyers, so assuming Golan didn't get wreckage, perhaps that may be a glitchy area since a destroyer (like the Atlantis) has multiple modes of travel (surface/land vs surface/underwater).

All in all, very handy mod, I like it a lot. I had the satisfaction of sinking plenty of incoming naval units, and then gaining the resources from them to power my war machine. :)

Heh, great mod!
May I host it at my website? ( http://d2kstudios.com/downloads.php?cat=27 ) :)

When I tested whether the Cybran destroyers would leave wrecks, I used ctrl-k to blow them up, so that might have been the issue. It used the death animation where the thing splits in half and then sinks. All the other ships I tried the same method with left wrecks behind just fine though.

Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer

Golan444 wrote:
As far as bugs go, the Cybran Destroyers didn't appear to be leaving any wreckage behind at all.

Found the problem. It's an issue with the way the DD's wreckage layers are set up. This will be fixed in the next release, which will probably be tomorrow.
Quote:
Also, the water was smoking over the wreckage of my sunken Cybran Battleship (although I'll admit that it could simply be an "undocumented feature").

This is a side effect of CreateWreckageProp(). I disabled it for subs but decided to leave it in for ships cause it looks cool. It's documented now in the first post.
Quote:
Besides those two little glitches, I didn't notice any problems. However, you might want to tell people to rename the .zip file to a .scd file in the install section. Took my a couple minutes to figure that out

Are you using IE, by any chance? It has a nasty habit of renaming files to what it thinks they should be when you download them, unlike real browsers; as uploaded it's called TF_ShipWreckage.scd.
Neruz wrote:

Not quite true, I've seen them leave wreckage when surfaced from time to time. That bit still needs work, though; what I really need to do is rearrange the class tree a bit and improve handling for subs that also have death animations.
Quote:

Brilliant.

nuclear_eclipse wrote:
I did get wreckage from my Cybran destroyers, so assuming Golan didn't get wreckage, perhaps that may be a glitchy area since a destroyer (like the Atlantis) has multiple modes of travel (surface/land vs surface/underwater).

In the case of the Atlantis and Tempest, it's not the multiple movement modes; other submarines have those and it handles them fine. The problem is that as far as the class tree is concerned they're submarines, but they have death animations like ships, and my code doesn't properly account for that. This should be fixed in v1.2.
DeathRay2K wrote:
Heh, great mod!
May I host it at my website? ( http://d2kstudios.com/downloads.php?cat=27 ) :)

Sure, provided it stays up to date.

Thanks! I intend to keep all of the mods there up to date. :)
Yours is here.
Also, I hope you don't mind, but I've put it in a zip and included a readme that is basically (except for the links) a copy of the first post.

PostPosted: 24 Mar, 2007 

:o :o WOW You did it?!? Man that's awesome! I can't wait to try it out. :D

[edit]

MAN! This is GREAT!! Its just what I was hoping for. Now if only the GPG devs would put it in the game!

PostPosted: 27 Mar, 2007 

the devs really need to include this. reclaiming the wreckage from a failed naval assault was one of the prime ways of outproducing your opponent in TA. When a near-experimental costing battleship sinks there should be something to show for it

PostPosted: 29 Mar, 2007 

This sounds very cool/nice, one of the things I wanted for SupCom! Thank you! *gives beer* :D

Edit: Just noticed that the wreckage´s flicker if you play a bit with the camera above them(try going 90 degrees above 1 ship close up and notice the other wreckage around flickering), not the wreckage that you look at but those that are around the one you look at. You can tests this by killing 4-6 ships using the spawn menu(skirmish+cheat enabled, write "spawn menu", press enter and press ALT+F2).

Edt 2: The wreckages disappear when zooming in before they get of screen. The same goes for zooming out, there they appear to late (noticed at least with a battleship and a Cybran Cruiser). ;)

Edit 3: They also flicker sometimes when you zoom fast in out. Glad if this helped any way :D

PostPosted: 29 Mar, 2007 

Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer

Lutjekabal wrote:
This sounds very cool/nice, one of the things I wanted for SupCom! Thank you! *gives beer* :D

(three bug reports snipped)

I believe that all of these are due to the fact that the logical center of the unit doesn't change; the position of the model bones do, but the unit itself is, theoretically, still floating on top of the water. The two main ramifications of this are:
- the reclaim hotspot is on the surface of the water rather than on the wreckage
- if you can't see the reclaim hotspot, the view frustrum culler removes the wreckage from view even if you can still see the wreckage itself
What you report is likely caused by the latter. There's not a lot that can be done to fix that, unless there's some way to move the logical unit location without moving the model as well, and while Warp() does appear to work that way for me, it shouldn't (and doesn't) for the devs, so I'm unwilling to rely on that.

Glad you like the mod, though :)

PostPosted: 01 Apr, 2007 

I dont know why, but your mod is incompatible with the 4'th Dimension Mod. It makes the game crash.

PostPosted: 02 Apr, 2007 

Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer

Haerzog wrote:
I dont know why, but your mod is incompatible with the 4'th Dimension Mod. It makes the game crash.

Wierdness. Do you have a log you can post, or does the game just blow up?

PostPosted: 12 May, 2007 

Hey TF, do you have any idea why the Cybran destroyer doesn't produce any wreckage when killed in the water? It makes wreckage just fine on land though.
It appears its trying to follow your scripts, it explodes again when it hits the seabed but no wreckage is left.

Oh also, not your faullt but the Salem when on land and killed plays the blub blub sinking killed audio. :roll:

PostPosted: 12 May, 2007 

Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer

Recon wrote:
Hey TF, do you have any idea why the Cybran destroyer doesn't produce any wreckage when killed in the water? It makes wreckage just fine on land though.
It appears its trying to follow your scripts, it explodes again when it hits the seabed but no wreckage is left.

It's an issue with the Wreckage.WreckageLayers. It's missing the { Water = true } entry. This is fixed in my local tree, but I didn't want to release it until I could test it against the 1.1.x patch, since it doesn't contain any critical fixes...
Considering how long the patch is taking, though, maybe I should just futureproof it as best I can and release it anyways.

Quote:
Oh also, not your faullt but the Salem when on land and killed plays the blub blub sinking killed audio. :roll:

Oopsies. I'll see if I can do something about that for the next release.

PostPosted: 20 May, 2007 

I've been trying to duplicate this issue with some consistency but it just refuses to be consistent.

The Aeon Frigate and Battleship sometimes spawn wreckage on the surface.
Usually not, but sometimes.

Here, I destroyed a group of Aeon Frigates with a bunch of Auroras, and some sank and some didn't. That's the first time I've seen a mix...

PostPosted: 21 May, 2007 

Super-Light Alien nanocomposits, they only sink if you actively poke holes in the bottom of the boat, sometimes you do, sometimes you don't.

PostPosted: 21 May, 2007 

You were a Star Trek writer, weren't you?

;)

PostPosted: 24 May, 2007 

Any chance of this mod seeing an update for the patch?

PostPosted: 26 May, 2007 

Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer

I am in fact working on that right now :D
I wanted to have it done earlier, but this past week has been full of spiders and case-sensitivity issues.

Quick Tools

Search for:
Jump to:  

© 2002-2010 Gas Powered Games Corp. All Rights Reserved. Gas Powered Games is the exclusive trademark of Gas Powered Games Corp.