Duncane's FA AI Patch
(Plus Air/Land/Naval AIs, NoTech/Swarm AI, Fortress AI and Null AI)
FA only, patch 3598 and above (including 3599 and 3603). I believe it will also be compatible with Sorians AI mods for FA due to the way that he has hooked the main files, but if you want a clean test then please run them independently of each other.
This mod can also be installed without impacting online play providing no AIs are present in the game. If there are going to be AI's all players must have this mod installed and have the same version.
Sorians either AI support mod which is included in the download or Sorians Lobby Enhancement mod. If you have Sorians AI pack and Lobby enhancement please don't copy the AI support mod to the game data folder.
You may remember me as the person that did the DuelAI mod for Supcom (that sounds a bit Troy McClure?!). Well I had indicated that I wasn't going to do a AI for FA as I felt the included FA AI's were fairly good as practice, but after discovering a few things with the stock AIs that quite annoyed me I decided to take a look at the code.
I really appreciate the standalone AI Sorian has released already and look forward to the massive improvements he will make in the future. At the same time I felt the standard AIs are fairly well done and have a large number of tactics already built in - they just need a bit of love in places
So this release is really just about fixing the few minor (and major) problems that annoy me about the stock FA AI's. Hopefully you will find the changes mean that you can use them in your games.
Also the stock Rush AI in FA includes a number of sub AI's. These are an Air rush, Land rush and a Naval rush AIs. This mod breaks these sub AI's out into their own selectable AI's and AIx variants. These focus on major air, land and navy forces respectively.
As I always, I'm really keen for any feedback you might have. When describing a problem please indicate the type of AI (Rush, Tech etc), if the cheat was on and the map it was on. Also let me know of any other issues you have seen with the stock AI's.
To install download the file, unzip and place the *.scd files in your FA gamedata folder: "C:\Program Files\THQ\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance\gamedata"
(01_aisupport.scd not required if you have Sorians AI or Lobby Enhancement mod installed).
[NOTE: For other AI modders every line of code changed from the FA base has a #DUNCAN comment on]
- Cheat option for AIx is now 1.4 times not 2 times speed. I find this is the optimal level to play against and be like a high level player without being too hard or unfair.
- Should now be compatible with Sorians Cheat Options Mod.
- Build order improved to match community standard so a land factory is built first (unless full naval map).
- Will now go for more hydrocarbon spots and earlier in the game.
- Will not use larger map "Balanced" rush AI on 5km maps.
- Will not use "Naval" rush on 10km or less maps that are not island based.
- "Land" Rush will now at least build some T1 air units
- Doesn't over build T2 power and neglect other T2
- T2/T3 engineers don't head out to build distant mass ex's or build mass storage... that's a job for a t1 engineer!
- Added T2 PD and TMD for ACU defense at main base
- Land experimentals should now correctly select targets and not stay static
- Units guarding base don't go too far to attack units. This hopefully helps on maps with civs.
- Cybran AI will now produce Hoplites
- Fix typo for some PD items in expansion bases.
- Added TML, shields to T2 expansion bases.
- Scouts should use their cloak/stealth.
- AI was working on several major T4 projects at the same time. Should now only work on one at a time.
It should now only build one exp/gate/arty at a time.
- Shouldn't build T3 fabs until at least 3 T3 power gens due to new balance for fabs.
- Should now build/upgrade only one omni. Only really need one plus some T2 radar.
- Should only upgrade one radar at a time.
- Engineers heading to protected enemy mass points without a guard force. Will now send some guards.
- Mobile shields/stealth too common at T2, reduced to lesser percentage.
- Engineers should now be reclaiming more often.
- The AI Builds too many transports. Reduced to reasonable levels.
- Wont build too many air platforms when going for land units
- Should now produce the megalith.
- Changed GuardBase to not return to centre of base to prevent bunching of units
- Should build shields after other defenses
- Will now select Naval rush more often on large island based maps
- Improved CZAR behavior. Its beam wont fire all the time.
- AI will now build attack boats for Aeon
- Naval bases will not over build naval factories
- Commander will now run away sooner.
- Commander attack range extended. The ACU will now be play a bit more offensively.
- Commander wont leave so many items unfinished when defending base from attacks.
- AI should now produce percivals.
- AI will now self destruct mobile t1 units when it reaches the unit cap. This should improve long game sim speed performance.
- AI will now only kill a few T1 units when it reaches unit count
- AI will reclaim T1 once enough T3 power. Reduces base clutter and helps with unit cap.
- AI will now use custom AI plan on Setons Clutch to improve sim performance (select Rush or Adaptive)
- Added improve Tech AI plan for small maps
- TMLs should now launch correctly and have improved targeting of structures.
- Limited the number of expansion bases the AI can build. This increases long game performance significantly.
This is now based on the number of AI's and players on the map.
- Tweaked land expansion base sizes and engineers from Naval expansions. This also helps performance.
- Improvements to land platoon AI selection on island based maps to prevent bunching.
- Will not over build land units on island maps
- Naval platoons will now form and attack much sooner
- Naval units will now path correctly.
- Interceptors now return home after attacking.
- Interceptors will not attack partially completed planes.
- Added BuildManager Thread clean up to address sim speed issues (thanks to Sorian!)
- AI will now use transports more effectively on island maps.
- Fixed groups of stuck engineers.
- Expansions will now be built further away and closer to the enemy's base.
- Tweak adaptive AI tactic selection on 10km maps (now chooses between Balanced, Land Rush, Tech Rush)
- Added builder for Amphibious tanks for Naval AI
- Added tweak to the HuntAI that should hopefully stop it shooting into the side of hills.
- Wont build a Quantum gate too early.
- Reduced the max number of nuke lanchers.
- AI should build rader sooner.
- Commander should now assist experimental builds.
- Increase Novax priority for UEF and fix targeting.
- Allied AIs should no longer steal engineers (Thanks to Sorian for his EngineerManager fix)
- Commander will now use some upgrades such as gun and T2 engineering, shield, stealth, cloaking and regen field.
- AI will now cleanup platoon threads to improve simspeed
- Engineers will not travel in odd paths to reach close locations.
- Nuke subs will now use nukes.
- Added Air/Naval/Land AI types based on Rush AI sub types.
- Improved response to enemy experimentals
- Fixed firebase location finder
- AIBrain threads now destoryed when AI is killed. Improves simspeed.
- Turtle AI no longer stalls.
- T3 fixed arty now aims correctly and built more often
- Bombers will now attack land experimentals
- Fix factory manager to not start threads for duplicate factories
- Increased ASF priority
- Fatboys should no longer get stuck in the water
- AI now builds paragon.
- SMD now built sooner.
- Experimentals will now be supported by other units
- T3 bombers will now have fighter escorts
- The AI will now place shields, SAMS and power plants in better locations
- Support for custom units (as per Sorians thread).
- AI should rebuild better after losing its base
- Fix engineer capture bug
- Fix for AI sending empty transports.
- AI will now use Ghetto Gunships
- Includes NoTech AI that doesn't tech up at all.
- Includes Swarm AI that doesn't tech up til it reaches the unit limit.
- Includes a Null AI that does nothing.
- Increased engineering stations.
- Engineers will repair unfinished and damaged structures
- Torpedo bombers now used by all AI types.
- AI will now use transports and experimentals on maps with no markers.
- Experimentals will group to attack at late stage of a game.
- Includes Fortress AI that focuses on defense only.