Login  Register

PostPosted: 26 Feb, 2007 

Forum Scout
Forum Scout

I am starting my own topic on this because the solution is hard to find for people. It kind of gets lost and buried in this thread. Although you can check that for reference if you like.

I only suggest this for people that are intermediate to advanced users, so if you don't feel comfortable editing a boot.ini, you may not want to proceed. Editing a boot.ini improperly may render your PC unbootable, which is why I suggest you copy/paste the entry in the boot.ini to make a new additional boot option, leaving the original intact.

One reason people crash in SupCom after playing for a while is hitting the 2GB virtual addressable application space limit on a 32 bit OS like XP or Vista 32. Not to be confused with virtual memory. This will fix it if you are actually suffering from hitting the memory ceiling due to the combination of 80k maps, multiple AI and lots of units, etc.

GPG will not be providing this in a patch, so if you want to play big maps with lots of units this will help you not crash at the cieling.
I was getting tired of not being able to finish a game after 10 crashes on an 80k map against two AI, so I finally made it address up to 3GB RAM.

If you have 2Gig RAM or above this will work marvelously for you. If you only have 2 GIG RAM make sure you have 1 GB paging file atleast. Believe it or not, performance isn't really bad when it goes into paging file usage considering you likely are starting to slow a bit by the 2GB mark anyway.

I know SupCom only is using around 1.5G in private bytes when it crashes, but it's it's the 2GB limit of application virtual address space being used up that causes it. This is a limit of 32 bit OS's like XP and vista.

Here is a picture before a crash of at the memory threshold.

After the fix is applied, here is a picture passing the 2GB threshold and being able to finish the game.

It's a combination of enabling XP to utilize 3GB in the user application space and enabling the supremecommander.exe to be able to actually address > 2GB.
You can learn more about this at Microsoft

Here is the download.(intermediate or advanced users only)
READ the instructions in the README.txt, all you need is in there.
This uses conventional tools so you can see nothing hokie goes on.

For Vista:
Vista 32 bit (not x64) needs to run this command instead of the XP boot.ini change mentioned in the readme.txt.
At a command prompt:
Code:
BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 2900

The readme.txt has the rest of the directions that should be applied in reference to the image header.
Vista x64 doesn't need the bcdedit, just run the startme.bat I supply as mentioned in the readme.

X64 OS:
A 64 bit OS is also limited to 2GB for user-mode virtual application space for a single process until the Large_Address_Aware header is in place in the executable. So on x64 run the startme.bat batch file, that is all you need to do for x64 to allow SupCom to use >2GB and up to 4GB on x64. (MSDN reference)

An Additional Note: (5-26-07)
Lately, some have been trying to check their memory usage in Task Manager after a crash to see if this is the cause of their crashes. This will not work for two reasons.
You will not be able to accurately and reliably identify SupCom's address space or any memory usage AFTER a crash, as certain threads may have been killed. Besides that, and more importantly, Windows Task Manager does not even have the ability to show you the memory metric of virtual address space set aside for that process, which is what this focus is about. A unit count in SupCom can be used as a very rough guideline, that if their is about 2300 units in a 80k map (give or take), that is the memory ceiling crash limit without this workaround.

Important hotfix for Vista Users:
Vista has been realized to be utilizing more virtual address space than XP, which is due to an issue where Vista's new video memory mapping was duplicating address space consumption with an applications private video memory mapping. Microsoft has a new hotfix available. Read here for more on the hotfix and how to obtain it at Microsoft
This doesn't remove the 2GB problem which people will hit with XP and Vista alike in large games. It just helps make sure Vista will not hit it as soon as it was before.

Last edited by MadBoris on 06 Aug, 2007, edited 12 times in total.

brilliant post - thanks very much. I'll try it next time I play.

Why can't the GPG tech guys ever solve or acknowledge problems like this?

Forum Scout
Forum Scout

moebius wrote:
Why can't the GPG tech guys ever solve or acknowledge problems like this?

Actually it will likely show up in a patch. It's been acknowledged somewhat, so no worries. GPG's focus is still improved memory management.

GPG included settings that can use more memory than is available by default. Some would complain about that. But also playing 8 AI's on a 80km, memory limits is only one obstruction to overcome, pretty soon that CPU is going to scream what are you doing to me? ;)

I'm actually really fine with that though, rather than actually limiting AI numbers or unit count on big maps to fit within the memory limit.

I use vista home pre and I follow the instruction above and it WORKS!!
I was getting crashes on big map every 5 - 15 min period but now it doesnt happen. However I still get crash like one or two times in a big map game... maybe my computer cant handle it? :(
But it is still better than 10 crashes every game :wink:

Forum Scout
Forum Scout

Well Lord, it's only designed to address one specific scenario which actually comes up especially for skirmish players on big maps. Unfortunately you seem to have another unrelated issue as well.

PostPosted: 27 Feb, 2007 

If I use your fixs the game crash @ 512000 MB in multiplayer games.
And the 1,5 G problem happends not only on 80 80 maps but on all maps its just depends how mutch memory supcome use and what your units cap is if you sett your unit cap at 1000 or 750 it will crash on 3v3 or even 2v2 maps.

Grtz
Blaimer

Btw if your fixs is used will it have a effect on other software too?

Forum Scout
Forum Scout

Blaimer wrote:
If I use your fixs the game crash @ 512000 MB in multiplayer games. And the 1,5 G problem happends not only on 80 80 maps but on all maps its just depends how mutch memory supcome use and what your units cap is if you sett your unit cap at 1000 or 750 it will crash on 3v3 or even 2v2 maps.

I'm not sure what the first sentence means.
Correct, it can happen at anytime someone exceeds the 2GB virtual address space regardless of map. SupCom sets an additional 500MB virtual space aside that it doesn't even use as part of it's private bytes, that is part of the problem because that is alot of extra virtual address space being committed.

Virtual address space IS NOT virtual memory, not even close, I think many are confused by this. This isn't memory 101, this is a simple fix, if people just keep it simple.

So if someone is running alot of background programs, and Vista with it's big memory footprint (more virtual address space pre-assigned), that will add to the problem as well so it will be seen sooner. It may be a little different for each person on when they run out of room.
Blaimer wrote:
Btw if your fixs is used will it have a effect on other software too?

It should not, but lightning should not hit you either, but it might. ;) If people use this it is wise for people to have atleast 4GB total available memory to the operating system. Meaning GB RAM + GB Virtual memory = 4GB total available. This insures the kernel will have enough memory if it needs it. I also set a less aggressive userva in the fix above, giving kernel more space. If you copy/paste a seperate line in your boot.ini rather than change the original, that is safest. Always it is best if you are unsure of something, not to do it.

Last edited by MadBoris on 27 Mar, 2007, edited 1 time in total.

I try to explain again :)
I did your fix but then it crash if the memory for subcom reach 512MB and if I undo your fix it crash at 1,5G

I have 2 G Ram and swabfile is 4G , windows xp 32bit

Forum Scout
Forum Scout

Blaimer wrote:
I did your fix but then it crash if the memory for subcom reach 512MB and if I undo your fix it crash at 1,5G

Not sure how that could happen unless you set the userva incorrectly. Unless you are crashing for different reasons entirely. It really doesn't make sense to me how that could happen.

Hey, i wonder after they patched the game is there anyway to change my vista back?

Forum Scout
Forum Scout

change vista back to what?

i did that BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 2900 thing in the command promp. will i be able to change it back after they patched the game?

Forum Scout
Forum Scout

double post

Last edited by MadBoris on 27 Feb, 2007, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Scout
Forum Scout

Lord_W wrote:
i did that BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 2900 thing in the command promp. will i be able to change it back after they patched the game?

If/when they do patch the game, they would patch the exe to be able to use more than 2GB virtual addrs space. They won't be patching operationg systems to tell them how to address more memory. That is what the boot.ini and bcdedit entries do, tell the OS to use more. Both are required for either to work.

Anyway, if you do want to undo the Vista memory setting at anytime it is:
Code:
bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva

Community Manager
Community Manager

Great information MadBoris! I've included this information in one of our FAQs, found here: http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=2521. Thanks for the help!

-Sarimus

PostPosted: 01 Mar, 2007 

Hi there i am running vista 32 bit and was hoping to use your fix but when i type BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 2900 at the prompt i get this ' the boot configuration data store could not be opened. access is denied' How do i change it so that i have access? I am logged in as administrator but im guessing vista has a bunch of security stuff thats stopping me....

Forum Scout
Forum Scout

tarkadol wrote:
Hi there i am running vista 32 bit and was hoping to use your fix but when i type BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 2900 at the prompt i get this ' the boot configuration data store could not be opened. access is denied' How do i change it so that i have access? I am logged in as administrator but im guessing vista has a bunch of security stuff thats stopping me....

In Start Menu, right click Command Window and choose run as administrator. That should do it.

Thanks for nice trick, too bad I don't have 3GB ram to utilize. :?

Forum Scout
Forum Scout

sam_ wrote:
Thanks for nice trick, too bad I don't have 3GB ram to utilize. :?

This is primarily for people with 2GB RAM because most don't have above that, me included. As long as you set aside a 2GB paging file available, then it works great instead of the inevitable slowdown and eventual crash I used to experience on the longest/biggest games.

Hi !

Works fine on Vista32 (with the BCDEDIT mod), 2GB RAM
81*81km map with 3 AI used to crash but now it's OK !

Thanks a lot MadBoris !

Question : Does this hack on the .exe is allowed by gpgnet in multiplayer game ? I'm affraid to loose my key.

Question 2 : I think I must avoid further auto patch without set back the original .exe ?

--
Reizz

Forum Scout
Forum Scout

Reizz wrote:
Hi !

Works fine on Vista32 (with the BCDEDIT mod), 2GB RAM
81*81km map with 3 AI used to crash but now it's OK !

Thanks a lot MadBoris !

Question : Does this hack on the .exe is allowed by gpgnet in multiplayer game ? I'm affraid to loose my key.

Don't ask, don't tell. It works fine for me, I have been using it with no issues, played a great game a couple nights ago. It only changes the header of the file so I would not even categorize it with a word like hack because of the usual implications. If losing your key was in danger this would have been eliminated quite a while ago.
Quote:
Question 2 : I think I must avoid further auto patch without set back the original .exe ?

Well, as I mentioned in the readme, it's something to watch out for, so you can rename the file for personal play, or if for online, not hit the ok button to patch until swapping back your original file.
The reality is I haven't tested it to see the effect of patching it, I am just being over cautious. One quick test would verify it. Hopefully next patch will support it and we won't have to deal with editing the header or being cautious of the patch. It's not like patches roll out of here that often. ;)

Mainly my goal was two fold, help people who wanted to really play 80k maps with AI, and so that GPG could see that the solution is effective so that they can patch it with the header for those of us that want to use the /3gb switch or x64. Hopefully the next exe will be patched appropriately and we can put this behind us.

Last edited by MadBoris on 01 Mar, 2007, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you for your fast reply.

Hi Madboris

Unfortunately, the trick didn't work for me...
I could modify the .exe (with your .bat proving me it was allright), I'm running Vista HP 32, so i runned the "BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 2900" command, then restarted the computer...
Then tried to play a saved & well advanced game...
Then it crashed, when it reached the 1.5 bar!

One question : I'm running Vista as admin, but how can you know that the BCDEDIT command worked?
A window opens so quickly I can't read anything when i run the command...

If there's anything you can do...

Thanks a lot for helping us!

tom

you just type BCDEDIT in an admin console.
increaseuserva should be the last entry.

Thanks for the fix MadBoris, I hope it helps my copy run more smoothly. :)

Quick Tools

Search for:
Jump to:  

© 2002-2010 Gas Powered Games Corp. All Rights Reserved. Gas Powered Games is the exclusive trademark of Gas Powered Games Corp.