Login  Register

PostPosted: 16 May, 2007 

Hello All;

As the patch rapidly approaches, many of our community members are wanting to know the status of Supcom and DX10. This is the word on this subject.

The opportunity to integrate DX10 came along very late in the development process for Supreme Commander. The window of opportunity was very narrow, but it was felt that if everything came together we could integrate this exciting jump forward into Supcom.

Despite the best efforts of our own team and our partners from Microsoft and Nvidia, the timing simply did not line up. The availability of DX10 hardware, final releases of Vista itself, and the solid drivers simply did not line up with the necessary time frames in our development cycle. Having missed that window, our dev team has focused on graphical improvements that will benefit a far wider audience than the still very small but growing segment of Vista users with DX10 compatible cards. Having missed that window, the resources necessary to integrate the tech do not make sense compared to what can be accomplished for that greateraudience.

Chris Taylor and GPG are rightly known for pushing the envelope of technology and innovation, integrating the latest technologies into GPG's games. While hindsight might make it clear that the time frames did not align to successfully integrate DX10 with Supreme Commander, it was felt that it was worth the shot we took.

The bottom line: Directx 10 support will not be patched into Supreme Commander or its expansion packs. GPG looks forward to integrating this exciting technology into future projects. We, like the rest of PC gaming community, are looking forward to the first DX10 games in the coming months.

Ah, thank you for clarification.

first word on expansion packs! NEW AND EXCITING!

Should be a sticky.

Nice of you clearing that out! :)

Well now, it seems the good ship Supreme Commander has taken yet another big, fat torpedo. Ahoy, and thanks for the pseudo-honesty, matey! :wink:

While I'm disappointed (I bought a GTS 8800 basically only for DX10 SupCom), I do appreciate the forthrightness.

I don't even have Vista, and I don't plan on getting it for a while.

I, for one, am glad that GPGnet decided to focus on improving the game's existing features rather than adding more that could have caused more bugs. Adding DX10 would have delayed the patch further than was necessary.

So....Bring on the patch!

"Now that I have Gmail Paper, I understand the difference between labels and folders. I had one message with two labels, but when I tried to stick the paper version into two filing cabinets at the same time, it just wouldn’t go."

Ace07 wrote:
I don't even have Vista, and I don't plan on getting it for a while.

I, for one, am glad that GPGnet decided to focus on improving the game's existing features rather than adding more that could have caused more bugs. Adding DX10 would have delayed the patch further than was necessary.

So....Bring on the patch!

QFT

Surely I'm not the only one who sees the sheer irony that this announcement comes from the developers of a game which has seemingly been designed to scale up with new hardware and software for years to come...

Are we next going to get an update that unit packs are also being canceled?

Noober wrote:
Surely I'm not the only one who sees the sheer irony that this announcement comes from the developers of a game which has seemingly been designed to scale up with new hardware and software for years to come...

Are we next going to get an update that unit packs are also being canceled?

QFT

Until Microsoft makes Dx10 compatible with XP, that is when I'd care... which would be never.

Rivvy wrote:
Until Microsoft makes Dx10 compatible with XP, that is when I'd care... which would be never.

well didn't they say the same thing about dx9 and windows 2k?

There is only one number of the beast, it's SIX!! SIX SIX!

Thank you, I now have to find my TNOTB disc...

TiMMY8765 wrote:
Rivvy wrote:

well didn't they say the same thing about dx9 and windows 2k?

Facts don't count when it's become fashionable to hate anything MS does for so many people. If Vista was $5.00 and DX10 cards were a $10 trade-up we'd all be singing the same tune.

Yeah, but they are doing a BIG effort to shove Vista down everyones throats. I'm sticking with XP, best OS I've used so far, does everything I need it to do.

thanks for the forthrightness.

I can live without dx10 until SupCom 2 I suppose (what will that be... late 2011 or somthing?).

I still would like to know if maps can be made larger. I heard sombody say it was a directx9 issue but I have a hard time believing that there wouldn't be work-arounds... Now you probably thing what? 40x40 is too big as it is why do you want Bigger than 80x80?

Simple anwser, because I just do!

I'd probably be happy at around 400x400 or so. I would sacrifice high quality textures for some 200x200 maps

Good, Microsoft and Vista can go to hell! :D

Rivvy wrote:
Yeah, but they are doing a BIG effort to shove Vista down everyones throats. I'm sticking with XP, best OS I've used so far, does everything I need it to do.

Buying Vista isn't an automatic debit to your account. They aren't force-feeding you anything. In this day and age how can ANYONE expect a company to NOT try and make as much money possible??? Yeah, stay with XP as long as you want, that's your right. But you should know, Vista is a lot more stable and graceful than XP ever was, on my machine at least, and I bought XPro the first day it was available.

Are you sure? They got rid of OEM XP discs to retailers so they can only sell Vista equipped PCs to consumers. It was on digg some time ago.

For the shear scale this game brings, the game already looks amazing as it is. If they did implement DX10, there would only be a very small minority that would actually be able to make use of it at this point.

Owning a XP equipped rig with a X850XT video card, I couldn't care less about DX10. :P

...wait a minute...EXPANISONS?? :D

Do tell hehe.

Rivvy wrote:
Are you sure? They got rid of OEM XP discs to retailers so they can only sell Vista equipped PCs to consumers. It was on digg some time ago.

OEM disks? You don't have a retail copy? :) I don't know how old your information is, I don't "digg", but last I heard companies like Dell had brought back new XP systems by popular demand. I don't know if this is true or not, but it doesn't matter to me. Vista is on my gaming machine and I won't be going back.

I think this is for the best. From what I've heard, DX10 is a mess to work with right now. How can you test something without proper video drivers? When something breaks, is it your fault or the driver? Unless you want to work with the reference rasterizer at 50 seconds per frame, you've really got no way to know.

This will let their graphics guys work on more important things. I'd rather see prettier explosions for everyone rather than a few fancy trees for 5% of people :).

Thanks for your 'honesty'. As stated previously, I am going to cease purchasing GPG products, and recommend my friends do the same.

Given how long Vista was available prior to Vista's release, how long DX10 compatible video cards were available prior to release, and when Supreme Commander released, I find it ridiculous that no work was done on DX10.

Previews of DX10 were available in the August 2006 SDK. Is the support cycle for SupCom so short that it won't ever be worked on?

To say I'm disappointed and dismayed would be an understatement.

lol, people who bought the game for DX10.

Did you know there was a game behind the graphics? lol

Quick Tools

Search for:
Jump to:  

© 2002-2010 Gas Powered Games Corp. All Rights Reserved. Gas Powered Games is the exclusive trademark of Gas Powered Games Corp.