Login  Register

PostPosted: 15 Sep, 2010 

A compilation of everything Kings and Castles related might be more handy for people who don't want to dig in all the different forum threads and online articles. Obligatory badass art shot to get you in the mood:
Kings and Castles Website (with weekly video blogs!), KaC Facebook Page
Chris Taylor on Twitter, Sorian on Twitter, Gas Powered Games Twitter page

* Community Forums: GPGnet KaC forum
* Community Sites, Blogs and information threads: Video Blog Catalogue = overview thread of all released Video Blogs, Sorian Developer Blog, Chris Taylor's e-mail answers to fans listed
| Send in cool unit ideas for Kings and Castles to coolunits@gaspowered.com |
| Send in comments and suggestions about Kings and Castles to crackedout@gaspowered.com |

>>> Recently added: [last content update on 02/24/2011]
Dates are in [month/day/year] format, recently updated stuff has a red date and will be added separately at the top of this first post. [mind the out-of-context danger of every quote listed here]

* [02/24/2011] The cat is out of the bag: GPG is now working on the free-to-play RTS Age of Empires Online, replacing original developer Robot Entertainment. Microsoft has a short FAQ about the whole situation, it seems like Chris Taylor will provide a solid year's content for this game while KaC remains on hold (for now).
* [02/05/2011] Unfortunate but also rather mystifying news: BigDownload reports that Chris Taylor has mailed them with the message that KnC is "on hold". He can't go into the details about why but he does say it's a "timing thing".
* [12/20/2010] GameReplays has put up a preview about everything which has been revealed so far of KaC. Nothing really new if you've been closely following this thread but you may want to read a recap in words.
* [10/30/2010] IGDA has a short interview with Chris Taylor (on p.22-23) about online games. Just like on GamesCom CT confirms GPG has plans for DLC (in the form of new Monarchs) and perhaps even microtransactions for KaC.
* [9/23/2010] G4TV host a video report with CT about the future of PC gaming. It's 2:49 minutes long and doesn't really show much new stuff.
* [9/22/2010] An IRC chat with Chris Taylor by reddev32 reveals plenty of things related to SupCom 1 and 2, KaC and GPG. Must-read.
* [9/15/2010] There is a new 1-hour long audio interview with Chris Taylor about everything GPG-related on Israeli games site Hamishakia. CT pretty much details how he sees his future in RTS development, really worth listening to.

=> General Game Information
DISCLAIMER: as long as KaC hasn't been shipped yet all this could probably be subject to change, welcome to game development.
Release date: 2012 | DRM/Copy protection: Steamworks | Online Matchmaking/Statistics: Steamworks |
Multiplayer: 1 - 8 players | Console versions: KaC was announced as a console game too but recently it came to light that the console versions aren't a certainty anymore. In later interviews Chris Taylor does continue to mention his urge to make RTSs (and thus also KaC) work on consoles.

>>> News/Media Content Overview:

=> Developer Post Tracking:
=> Sorian forum posts - AI Wizard for KaC => his own blog which, among other GPG projects, discusses Kings and Castles tidbits: [ if you are even just a little bit interested in KaC then you should have bookmarked this already, check it daily, it contains loads of information about developing KaC, SupCom 2 and Demigod at GPG ] => Sorian is on Twitter
=> GPG-Servo forum posts - Community Manager
=> Eric forum posts - Lead Balance
=> Steve Bauman (aka steveb) forum posts - Writer/Producer?
=> MCS500 forum posts on Steam forum - some kind of GPG community manager
=> Toraque forum posts - GPG Employee

=> Articles (online, magazines, etc.):
* [02/24/2011] The cat is out of the bag: GPG is now working on the free-to-play RTS Age of Empires Online, replacing original developer Robot Entertainment. Microsoft has a short FAQ about the whole situation, it seems like Chris Taylor will provide a solid year's content for this game while KaC remains on hold (for now).
* [02/05/2011] Unfortunate but also rather mystifying news: BigDownload reports that Chris Taylor has mailed them with the message that KnC is "on hold". He can't go into the details about why but he does say it's a "timing thing".
* [12/20/2010] GameReplays has put up a preview about everything which has been revealed so far of KaC. Nothing really new if you've been closely following this thread but you may want to read a recap in words.
* [10/30/2010] IGDA has a short interview with Chris Taylor (on p.22-23) about online games. Just like on GamesCom CT confirms GPG has plans for DLC (in the form of new Monarchs) and perhaps even microtransactions for KaC.
* [9/23/2010] G4TV host a video report with CT about the future of PC gaming. It's 2:49 minutes long and doesn't really show much new stuff.
* [9/22/2010] An IRC chat with Chris Taylor by reddev32 reveals plenty of things related to SupCom 1 and 2, KaC and GPG. Must-read.
* [05/25/10] PC Gamer has the first written and online preview of KaC, new screenshots and artwork are shown here as well. Interesting new stuff includes:
- "And if you're evil, your dragon will literally get bigger and stronger as it feeds on enemy soldiers."
- "... a massive stone statue that, with enough magic, can come to life and join the fight, and a disgusting 'Meat Giant' erected from the remains of fallen soldiers and horses."
- "It has all of the base building and resource management of a traditional RTS, although with some interesting options, such as slow-cutting forests for a steady trickle of resources that won't expose you to new avenues of attack, and temporarily shutting down an enemy's economy by marauding through his farms to drive off workers."
- "The huge bridge that you were about to cross is destroyed. What now? Bring up your wizard, and have him conjure a bridge! Not enough magic? Sacrifice a third of your troops, sucking the life force right out of them, build a bridge from the light of their souls, and cross before the enemy swoops down with their dragon and eats your wizard.
* [2/16/2010] Bigdownload interviews Chris about the game.
* [2/15/2010] Official press release announcing Kings and Castles.

=> Videos/podcasts:
* [9/15/2010] There is a new 1-hour long audio interview with Chris Taylor about everything GPG-related on Israeli games site Hamishakia. CT pretty much details how he sees his future in RTS development, really worth listening to.
* [08/24/2010] CT talks about DS3 but also about KaC in this video interview from GamesCom at the MediaXP booth, he says GPG will release a lot of new Monarchs after the release of KaC, he speaks of a number of 10 to 12. There are probably three months of pre-production left, shipping date is likely 2012. A co-op campaign mode is mentioned, new game modes are teased, including the one where you can control allied units from another player. There is an interest in Demigod 2.
* [08/23/2010] Gamers.fr have a video interview with CT on GamesCom about KaC, console RTSs and Demigod (2).
* [02/20/2010] The full DICE video panel with Chris Taylor and Mike Capps discussing independent studios is online now. Watch this, it puts a lot of things into perspective: GPG was downsized from 125 to 45 folks in 2008 (they're building up again though), Chris explains why he can't talk about the SupCom: FA patch, why GPG can't do a casual game on the side, what the royalties from publishers actually mean and what his vision for the future is (lots of KaC pimping too). Great laughs but some very serious stuff as well.

=> Screenshots / Artwork:
* [05/25/2010] PC Gamer/C&VG have three screenshots (Empire foot soldiers lining up in front of a castle, battle between the same foot soldiers, zeppelins and unidentified sword infantry, also shows temporary interface and long distance shot of the previous battle) and two art pics (female wizard mutant serpent archer? and extremely cool pirate cove/castle on a sea monster).
* [04/08/2010] GPG periodically posts KaC artwork in this Facebook photo album. Four artwork pieces can currently be seen there now.

=> Gas Powered Games Newsbits
* [03/10/2010] Chris Taylor thinks moving to Mac development is a great new opportunity for PC developers.
* [02/20/2010] The full DICE video panel with Chris Taylor and Mike Capps discussing independent studios is online now. Watch this, it puts a lot of things into perspective: GPG was downsized from 125 to 45 folks in 2008 (they're building up again though), Chris explains why he can't talk about the SupCom: FA patch, why GPG can't do a casual game on the side, what the royalties from publishers actually mean and what his vision for the future is (lots of KaC pimping too). Great laughs but some very serious stuff as well.
* [02/18/2010] Gamasutra also has a report about CT's DICE debate, interesting read.
* [02/18/2010] Chris Taylor opens his heart at the DICE convention about the problems of staying independent, seems like GPG could have been bought at more than a few times by a larger publisher but CT said no every time. This article also mentions that CT's children won't go to college because of Demigod (lol) and that Kings and Castles has only been in production for a month !
* [8/12/2009] Gas Powered Games has joined the PC Gaming Alliance.
* [5/29/2009] Venturebeat interview with Chris Taylor about Gas Powered Games in general

=> 'Awards':
Yet to come?

Last edited by Ryuken on 24 Feb, 2011, edited 14 times in total.

Reserved for further updates when first post exceeds its limit.

Nice work Ryuken! Servo, can you sticky this pls?

Forum Scout
Forum Scout

Col. Jessep wrote:
Nice work Ryuken! Servo, can you sticky this pls?

And make me a Global Mod so I can handle simple stuff like this for you![/shameless plug]

ANYWAYS!

Good to see you do this Ryuken, your SupCom2 thread did really well.

Mike

This game REALLY seems like Demigod the RTS.

Finally, now I can just scan the title of this thread to see if I've missed anything new instead of reading 30 posts! Thanks again Ryuken.

Polynomial wrote:
This game REALLY seems like Demigod the RTS.

I can has Unclean Beast? :D

PostPosted: 06 Oct, 2010 

The IRC chat with reddev32 is down, any alternative links? I wanted to reference it.

PostPosted: 08 Oct, 2010 

It's back up for me at least, here's the content in case it goes down again:

Quote:
Below are the Question that was put to Chris Taylor on Wednesday 22nd September,
1.How many faction will Kings and Castles feature? The last video blog showed at least 5 on a concept.
2.Will there be units named after prominent community members?
3.There are no plans currently for any further SupCom sequels or full expansions." Confirm or deny?
4.Will KnC be most similar to FA or to SupCom2?
5.Can you elaborate more on plans regarding an integrated modding/mapping tool for KnC?
6.Is it planned to have organic units behave/look/move in a more lifelike manner than seen in the past Video Blogs?
7.Is it part of your design philosophy in K&C to reduce the need for starcraft 2 style macro management of resources and build queues?" I ask this because many players of that game argue that it is
part of the skill at playing the game simply to be good at the macro, while others like myself view it as a painful waste of my time and brain power.
8.Will K&C have flow or pay up front eco?
9.Will the Supcom 2 DLC be free, or paid. If paid, will it be more or less than $10
10.Will the FA lobbies continue for the next 3-5 years at least, or will all support for FA disappear?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Answers accompanied with the question that was asked. Chris Taylor's Answers are in Yellow. My Questions are in white.
1.How many faction will Kings and Castles feature? The last video blog showed at least 5 on a concept.
We haven't made the final decision yet, but we are leaning towards 5... so good observation!

2.Will there be units named after prominent community members?
hahaha... good idea! We should at least use community for the AI opponents!

3.There are no plans currently for any further SupCom sequels or full expansions." Confirm or deny?
Are you asking about the original SupCom?
Yes and supcom 2
If so, there are none planned, however, I can't answer the question yes or no when asking for SupCom 2. :)

4.Will KnC be most similar to FA or to SupCom2?
Similarity... we are making the game big in scope and scale like SupCom 1... But bringing some of our favorite ideas across from SC2 and Demigod. So it's a real mix of the ideas that we think
are cool. But the big maps, big armies, are central to the design. In fact, in this weeks blog, I want to show an army of 300+ in motion.
Interesting indeed, an eye opener in the next blog 2 :D

5.Can you elaborate more on plans regarding an integrated modding/mapping tool for KnC?
Sure! Our goal is to give the community the tools to make maps... and this was not trivial for several reasons.
First, the way the mesh is created as a giant continuous piece of geometry. And second, the lighting model we used. So, first we need to create an editor that allows the construction from many different
pieces. You saw some of that in the blogs a few months back. Then we had to create our own proprietary lighting model. We are not able to release a licensed piece of technology intot he public. So, we had
some hurdles, but we have worked through them! But in the end, you will get the same exact tools that we are using every day... which is the only way to go in my opinion!
Did that answer the question, or do you have other questions regarding the map creation tools?
That answered it to what was asked yes + more detail.
oh good!

6.Is it planned to have organic units behave/look/move in a more lifelike manner than seen in the past Video Blogs?
Yes, absolutely the goal... most of the units are pretty rough, or gray boxed, and even though I say that a lot, I know it's...
hard to accept that those are temporary. We are trying to be practical about the preproduction process. But that has some pitfalls because folks make a harsh judgement on temp art.
But I was very passionate about showing the development process in its raw form and not a sugar coated version. So far, that has been a rougher ride than I thought it would be, but I think people are starting to understand development now... it's not pretty!
Personaly it has opened the eye to what goes on behind that seens.
yes, we really want folks to know what goes on, and how many hours and hours it takes to make a simple thing... or what appears to be simple in the end result.
I think mod and map makers know a bit of this.

7.Is it part of your design philosophy in K&C to reduce the need for starcraft 2 style macro management of resources and build queues?" I ask this because many players of that game argue that it is
part of the skill at playing the game simply to be good at the macro, while others like myself view it as a painful waste of my time and brain power.
That's a good question... hmmm, let me see. Well, I like the macro, as a starting place, philisophically. The trouble is, we get a lot of push towards the micro. The most popular RTS games in
the business today are micro. It makes it hard to simply ignore those players and what they like. However, our goal here is to find a way to introduce a little micro but not completely at the expense of the macro game. In other words, you can bring your own playstyle into the formula to shape the way the game plays. So, we have introduced the Talent Tree for the king, and the use of items. But we haven't applied that across the whole game. If during playtesting we find it sucks, we'll pull it out. I think it's fair to say that it has some more micro, but less tedious other things, like upgrading mass extractors, for example. We need to make a distinction between tedious gameplay and micro. They are not the same! And I know that sometimes it's easy to confuse the two.
Chris to try to put that in to context Would it be more or less microed then supreme commander 1?
I think it's fair to say that it would have MORE micro, but hopefully not so much it would lose that big macro gameplay. It sort of comes down to how often the player has to open up a tree and apply points of some kind.

8.Will K&C have flow or pay up front eco?
Accomplishing both goals. We are experimenting with something that, believe it or not, is right between the two... and it's surprisingly good at... For example, you can place all the
structures you want, regardless of available resources. You can queue up as many units as you want. But each time a unit, whether mobile or structure goes to be built, it deducts the resources. But factories won't pause. that's a key difference. the unpausing was a pain in the butt. We have a good solution for that. But like everything else we are taking a much different approach to this, and will much more thoroughly test it before making a final decision.
So its like fa when queuing but supcom 2 when its been built?
Yes, I think you have it right. The best part of the original economy, was the ability to just design your base and lay out all your plans, and work ahead of the game doing planning.

9.Will the Supcom 2 DLC be free, or paid. If paid, will it be more or less than $10.
I can't talk about the SC2 DLC, those announcements are made from the publisher.
ok
Thanks for understanding that!

10.Will the FA lobbies continue for the next 3-5 years at least, or will all support for FA disappear?
That's a good question! We will support it as long as we can, and I think it's fair to say that if the game continues to sell, then there will cotninue to be support... but sadly, this is also a decision that is not made entirely by me, it is THQ who ultimately makes those kinds of decisions. If it were up to me, I would of course support it until there was nobody using it.
If the server does go down is it possible for a 3rd Party company to buy it and keep it running?
I suppose anything is possible, but this is only a question that can be answered by the publisher who has the license.

And it looks like I need to run to my lunch meeting... but let's do this again soon!
Thanks to everyone for joining today, I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate the support!!

PostPosted: 14 Dec, 2010 

What was the last content update on 12/06/10?
Can't seem to find any info about it in the OP.

PostPosted: 14 Dec, 2010 

I updated it with an interview from October 30th on December 6th, sorry for the confusion. There's nothing really new since October 8th.

PostPosted: 10 Apr, 2012 

any news if this game will be released?

PostPosted: 10 Apr, 2012 

Forum Scout
Forum Scout

cord wrote:
any news if this game will be released?

It was put on indefinite hold when GPG was approached my Microsoft to take over Age of Empires Online from Robot Entertainment, we haven't heard anything since then.

Mike

Quick Tools

Search for:
Jump to:  

© 2002-2010 Gas Powered Games Corp. All Rights Reserved. Gas Powered Games is the exclusive trademark of Gas Powered Games Corp.