Yeah, that's cool! 21%  21%  [ 7 ]
Yeah, that's cool! 21%  21%  [ 7 ]
Uh . . . . I guess. 21%  21%  [ 7 ]
Nah. It's so-so, nothing special. Ho-hum. 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
You kinda suck, you know that? 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Kinda? Forget that, you REALLY suck. 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 33
 PostPosted: 29 Oct, 2007 

Location: Fast as a cobra. Daring as a human cannonball. Bold as a mid-afternoon streaker. It's LURKILY!
Like the topic says. Please give me feedback on it. If you like it, please use it. (That's why I watermarked it. :) ) This isn't the right forum for companion cubes . . . but after discovering the secret room with the insane ravings about the cube, and the swimsuit calendar with the cube taped onto it, I felt I HAD to create something like this. I'll put it a few other places too . . . but I'm really proud of this one. :)

My only regret is that I couldn't make the layer mask work the way I wanted to in an animation - I had to tween regular gradient overlays, which means that as the poem reveals each line, some lines, being longer, overtake the lines that started showing up earlier. Ah well.

Please . . . tell me what you think. How can I do better? Where have I excelled, where have I fallen short? I'll let the poll run a couple weeks, so I have some idea if this is any good at all.

P.S. If you don't know what a weighted companion cube is . . . I shun thee. Watch this to learn about it.

Last edited by Lurkily on 29 Oct, 2007, edited 2 times in total.

I'm flabbergasted...

what happened to SupCom sigs?

:roll:

Location: Fast as a cobra. Daring as a human cannonball. Bold as a mid-afternoon streaker. It's LURKILY!
Usling2 wrote:
what happened to SupCom sigs?
I've only done two - but I had no inspiration. However, that twisted room with all the Companion Cube ravings in it . . . that inspired me.

So I made what I was inspired to make. I tried to get as deliciously twisted as I could . . .

This is a the OTHER animation I did - not Supcom, just Lurkily.

The last one you see under my post right now. Not much to my name, yet, neh? In case my sig has changed by the time someone reads this, the file I refer to should be here.

Last edited by Lurkily on 29 Oct, 2007, edited 1 time in total.

TBH i think you seem pretty skilled, but i just hate animated sigs... :P
They just draw too much attention, and it's annoying to read the forums.

Usling2 wrote:
TBH i think you seem pretty skilled, but i just hate animated sigs... :P
They just draw too much attention, and it's annoying to read the forums.

Not to mention, some of them are just plain boring

Well . . . being used to the internet's . . . sometimes glitzy personality (Just browsed MySpace for a while - there are some horror stories there.) I can pretty easily cope with and guide my attention around animation. Even I have to admit though, that multiple animations in close proximity are annoying. I very, very rarely put two animations in a single sig - and only in certain circumstances. (Like one animation only cycles once every 20 or thirty seconds, and is very short, or the two animations compliment each other - for instance, an animated texture in a table to function as a frame to another animation, and even that had to be extremely unobtrusive to pull off)

I had to stop and think, before linking to other animations in a thread where my sig'd be showing up constantly, and I kind of regret having left my signature on for those posts(EDIT: sigs removed on posts displaying other animations. :) ) . . . but I was hoping for a little more feedback than I've gotten. But it has only been one evening, so I'll let it run a while more.

PostPosted: 30 Oct, 2007 

The only thing worse than a giant picture sig is a giant animated picture sig.

Not a fan of them (in general or this one in particular). Sorry.

I thought the same thing, honestly - the one in question can be slimmed down to 100 px height, and still be readily legible. (Though the cube might need to be re-enlarged, and the tape moved) The one up there is just the full-detail source image; if anybody wants other dimensions, just ask.

After the sig with the blue plush, I decided to limit any sig animations to 100 px tall, and 600 wide. (Though on this forum, 550 is probably required to avoid punishing an 800x600 screensize, which was the intent.) I might go with a 950-wide limit if a project really demands it, but, eh.

The real issue here, is I'm dusting off old photoshop skills, and I'm not really sure what to do with them to polish them up other than follow a few free tuts. One thing I do a lot of, is play games and keep up with these, and AN's forums, so the graphical work for SupCom mods, and these animations has been most of my practice.

My. This thread does give me the opportunity to babble about my work alot. I'll stop now.

Lurkily wrote:
longer, overtake the lines that started showing up earlier. Ah well.

Please . . . tell me what you think. How can I do better? Where have I excelled, where have I fallen short? I'll let the poll run a couple weeks, so I have some idea if this is any good at all.

definatly too much clothes... i mean hello? she looks like a frikin warderobe

:roll:

no seriously portal wasnt that fun

Vimes is random wrote:
Have to disagree with you there, but I guess it's the kind of game you either love, or are just kind of okay with. The value is in how it forces you to think in ways you normally do not think. The advanced levels can be especially frustrating - beating them took a little more time than normal, but the challenges are kicking my ***.

But even that isn't the reason I wanted to make this - the humor in Portal is the reason. The whole idea that test subjects would be driven to companion cube insanity by GLaDOS. The semi-hidden room with its ravings and posters was a little creepy, but at the same time, funny as hell.

There's even a 'Cult of the Companion Cube,' now. THAT'S creepy.

Lurkily wrote:

Where?

ps: be afraid :wink:

Half a million mass doing WHAT?

Very afraid. Valve has confirmed that there will be Weighted companion Cube toys out - I've heard plushies mentioned, though I haven't heard the source for that - by December.

Forum Scout
Forum Scout

Location: First to see Chris Taylor Running Naked Through The Office
I like my portal sig more, but you do get points for the breasts.

PostPosted: 31 Oct, 2007 

Lurkily wrote:
Vimes is random wrote:
Have to disagree with you there, but I guess it's the kind of game you either love, or are just kind of okay with. The value is in how it forces you to think in ways you normally do not think. The advanced levels can be especially frustrating - beating them took a little more time than normal, but the challenges are kicking my ***.

But even that isn't the reason I wanted to make this - the humor in Portal is the reason. The whole idea that test subjects would be driven to companion cube insanity by GLaDOS. The semi-hidden room with its ravings and posters was a little creepy, but at the same time, funny as hell.

suew it was fun and challanging, and unusual BUT

it was short
gave me headache :o
it was short
it could have been so much more (i know it was just really show off and not a real game)

...only 19 lvls, c'mon arnt the advanced stages just modified of the "campaign :wink: " (i dont know havnt played them)

dunno i would give it 8/10

PostPosted: 31 Oct, 2007 

22 levels plus a boss fight, actually . . . did you play all the way through, or are you just counting the number of 'test chambers?' that were listed on the entrances to each chamber? (1/19, 2/19, etc) Though to be honest, Portal's focus on 'light' combat makes it more of a 'boss challenge' than a 'boss fight'.

The advanced stages are modified game levels, but they are not the same experience - through small changes, the process for beating the level is completely different, and needs to be completely rethought. In addition, the challenges are a hell of a lot harder than a reworked level - you're required to beat the level with a minimum number of portals placed, under a time limit, or in a minimum number of steps. (Knowing what constitutes a 'step' helps, though I'm still a loser on this one - 0/6)

Also . . . the game is quite boring without GLaDOS' banter. Apparently having no voice effects is a common bug in the game, and if you experience that, you really should play through again, after getting voice to work.( I especially liked "The regularly scheduled course is under maintenance, and has been replaced by a live-fire course designed for military androids. Good luck!" Followed by "Remember. Andriod hell is a real place where you will go at the first sign of defiance." )

And Kong, I like yours too . . . the reason I needed to do this one is because it hints at the insanity surrounding the WCC.

Quick Tools

Search for:
Jump to:  

© 2002-2010 Gas Powered Games Corp. All Rights Reserved. Gas Powered Games is the exclusive trademark of Gas Powered Games Corp.