Login  Register

PostPosted: 21 Jan, 2013 

Chris is doing an AMA (ask me anything) on Reddit currently and I am posting the questions and answers here so that everyone can read them without the struggles of reddit.

Questions in yellow, answers in red.

Question:
Having read about the recent situation at GPG - laying off many staff - could you give some idea as to how the company ended up in that situation? I'm interested in how the industry works and would like to know... were costs too high, income too low...what was it that put the company in a bad financial position? What can you do to remedy the base problem?
Best of luck with the Kickstarter.

Answer:
Costs in the our business are high, no doubt about it, that's why game engine's like Unity are becoming so popular. I think you'll see a ton of game engine's hitting the market in the next few years, and licensing will cost very little, 5-10K, compared to the days of Unreal which was 7 figures.
I chose to lay folks off instead of gamble with their severance. Today some folks have come in, and completed paperwork, and have said they don't want to stay and gamble it, so they are gone now. It's an eyes wide open situation now... it's their choice, and I feel good about that decision.
GPG is in a very interesting situation, as we had enough money to get us through to the end of the campaign. What became obvious by day 4, is that the campaign was going so poorly, there was no way it was going to happen. People argued this with me in the media a bit, saying it was too early to judge, but consider this, even with this weekends surge, we're still not doing very well... can you imagine what it would have looked like without the big push from the media covering the layoff?

Question:

Can you tell us a lil bit more about GPG, are you rehiring?

Answer:
Yes, today we brought back a number of key people. They have a very clear picture of the risks, and had the weekend to think clearly about what they wanted. Some people have chosen to move on, and those who stay know that the future is uncertain.

Question:
Hi Chris - is it a fairly safe thing to say that Wildman will not include a real money auction house? ;)
Good luck with the Kickstarter and I hope the year ends better for you than it started!

Answer:
hahaha... yes, very safe!

Question:
What is the name of the world Wildman is set in?

Answer:
I don't have a name for it. I love the idea of getting community involvement to explore creative with the backers. I've never done that before, and some I've told this to think I'm crazy, and they are skeptical, but I want to at least try it.

Question:
Out of all the games that you have worked on, which had the hardest development process?

Answer:
I think it's a toss up between Dungeon Siege and Supreme Commander

Question:
Having read about the recent situation at GPG - laying off many staff - could you give some idea as to how the company ended up in that situation? I'm interested in how the industry works and would like to know... were costs too high, income too low...what was it that put the company in a bad financial position? What can you do to remedy the base problem?
Best of luck with the Kickstarter.

Answer:
Costs in the our business are high, no doubt about it, that's why game engine's like Unity are becoming so popular. I think you'll see a ton of game engine's hitting the market in the next few years, and licensing will cost very little, 5-10K, compared to the days of Unreal which was 7 figures.
I chose to lay folks off instead of gamble with their severance. Today some folks have come in, and completed paperwork, and have said they don't want to stay and gamble it, so they are gone now. It's an eyes wide open situation now... it's their choice, and I feel good about that decision.
GPG is in a very interesting situation, as we had enough money to get us through to the end of the campaign. What became obvious by day 4, is that the campaign was going so poorly, there was no way it was going to happen. People argued this with me in the media a bit, saying it was too early to judge, but consider this, even with this weekends surge, we're still not doing very well... can you imagine what it would have looked like without the big push from the media covering the layoff?

Question
Hey Chris, I hear you like to do things like build actual CPU's in your spare time. Is that true? What are your hobbies you enjoy? Thanks!

Well, not exactly... I like build kits... but one thing I am working on is a computer with a Z80 CPU... I'll twitter out a pic I took a few months back later today.
I'm also really into pottery... my wife sells it on her site. Here's a link... http://tiggygrace.bigcartel.com/
The ones in the lower left are my bowls... no joking please. We always talk about how people love to fondle my bowls.

Was Supreme Commander 2 the game you wanted it to be?
If you could make it again, would you do it differently, and if so how?
Hallo from Myth from GPGnet (Remmy's brother zzzzz). All my support to you and your company going forward. I haven't had as much enjoyment out of anything ever produced in any kind of entertainment media than I did FA and I am eternally grateful to you for making such a truly epic game.
Also, in all the interaction we've had directly and in everything I've ever seen of you online in any capacity, you seem like a thoroughly, genuinely great guy. You deserve for things to go right and I wish you the very, very best of luck.

Dang... I can't tell you how much I appreciate you saying that. It's been a rough week, and it feels great to get your support.
I wished we had pushed harder to optimize memory on the PC so we could have bigger maps... and we made the units bigger, and between the two, we basically f'd up the game.

Question:
Can you tell us a lil bit more about GPG, are you rehiring?

Answer:
Yes, today we brought back a number of key people. They have a very clear picture of the risks, and had the weekend to think clearly about what they wanted. Some people have chosen to move on, and those who stay know that the future is uncertain.

Hi chris i was just wondering what is your plan for wildman multiplayer?

We want to move from a single player game to a COOP MP game, and then do PvP last. As potentially controversial as this was thought to have been, we're seeing more and more people get behind us on that. It's important to have the MP in the plan though.

You mentioned in a recent interview with Rock, Paper, Shotgun that you don't think RTS games work very well with multiple concurrent battlefields like Planetary Annihilation is trying. At the same time, with Supcom you actually managed to create a UI that handles multiple fronts, albeit on the same map, very well. I'm wondering if you tried anything with multiple battlefields internally and it didn't turn out well, or is it just sort of a gut feeling that people can't handle it?

I think there was an RTS that allowed you to fight above the ground and below the ground, can't remember the name, and it just confirmed what I felt I always knew about RTS games... multiple theaters is just damn hard to pull off.... best of luck to the PA guys!

I watched your video about the situation, and I definitely agree with everything you said, however when it comes to Supreme commander 1 and 2, I think there are many fans of the original game who were disappointed with the second, and rightfully so. Honestly, if the mechanical changes of the game (for example the much, much, much better UI of supcom2, as well as the pathfinding) were implemented into the first game, that would be perfection. In my eyes, at least.
I'd like to know what kind of life Supcom1 would have had if GPG or THQ, I'm not sure who honestly, had pushed the E-Sports scene much further. It seems to me that RTS games only survive from their e-sports scene, and that was something which was almost non-existant for Supreme Commander.

I think we'd absolutely make the maps huge, and go back to our roots in the way the tech tree works. I know some people really like SC2's tree, but it's like anything that is established, you had better make it much better if you change it... and we were trying to solve for console and PC at the same time, and that was tough.

Hey Chris, it's Remmy, you're probably fed up of talking to me, but I've got a few questions anyway! :P.
1.Are GPG working on anything else, for example like Age of Empires online? (working to 'finish' another companies game)
2.Do you feel like if this kickstarter doesn't work, then that's it for Gas Powered Games?
I hope you guys get the money, the game looks super fun, and considering i'm still playing Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance now, I know you guys can make amazing games.
Good luck, I'm rooting for you.

Hey Remmy!! nice to hear from you.
We do have a small project that we're wrapping up, but other than that, it's all Wildman!
What's interesting, is that after the announcement on Friday, it's actually been the best thing to happen in terms of business development. We're getting lots of calls, and there's lots of exciting conversations that we're going to have in the weeks ahead to explore ideas. I have no idea where any of this will go, but it's going to be interesting to find out!

How did GPG take the criticism of SC2? I personally thought it was a fun game but others thought it didn't live up to SC1.

Ya, it was tough because we also thought we did a miracle job to get it out on time, but like you can probably imagine, people didn't give us much credit for that... I mean, Blizzard slips its games for ever, and we made ours, and delivered on budget, because that's the way the world works... but still, we f'd up some stuff that had nothing to do with time or money.

You seem quite negative about the Kickstarter chances, although it is following similar trends of other successful projects. Is this a case of personal expectations being set to high? Or do you have marketing info that suggests GPG fans should have boosted your funds further towards the target by now?

I know it came across as negative to believe that the project would not be funded, when instead I wanted folks to know, I was trying to be realistic. If you compare Wildman against Project Eternity, Star Citizen, Wasteland 2, etc, we weren't even in the same ballpark. And I really want to explain some things... first off, the Kicktraq.com graphs are completely misleading, instead you have to look at the actual values. Second, I'm really not happy that too many people are pledging not because they like the game, but because they feel sorry for us. That's not what making games is about!! I feel terrible about that. I want people to support it because they like the idea. Otherwise it's not a true process. If it's the wrong game at the wrong time, then we need to be sent packing.

Are you at a point on your conceptual design to explain how the questing and warzones would tie together from a practical and story telling perspective?

We're working on a video to be released later in the week that shows how the game will play. It won't be the game engine per se, but diagrams and stuff. What's interesting to me is that the only reason this is required is because it's a new idea... as the other projects on KS are all remakes or highly nostalgic, best I can tell!

HI Chris, sorry if this is a double post. I must have asked on the wrong board but I wanted to ask ya if war zones will be pretty much on a fixed plane box like the video we saw, or will we be traversing bridges, ledges, castle walls, or cliffs, etc. where we can knock swarms of baddies off ledges?
Also can ya include environmental damage, so that maybe we can cause avalanches or break dams to flood camps, etc? I'm still confused how this game will span 200,000 years. How does wildman evolve over time? We've seen concept art which hints he will be in fantasy settings too. I'm confused as to how the evolution occurs and how technology will be introduced, or if we even have the same wildman for the whole campaign?

Great questions!
First of all, our engine technology allows for a completely arbitrary 3D world, and we can do bridges, ledges, etc, just as you describe, no problem at all... and in fact, just imagining some of those scenarios makes me kick myself for not mentioning that anywhere.
Second, the whole prehistoric man thing is a fresh idea where we can take a character, start him with nothing, not only just a bone... which I know seems ridiculous, but it's kinda fun, but also starts him with no technology. So when he explores the world, he finds not only a sword, but now has sword technology, and his troops can now use swords when they spawn from their barracks in the Warzone game. The compression of 200,000 years into a 20-40 hour game is a fun challenge, but at the end of the game, we might only be up to medieval Europe. We talked about laser guns, but as the idea evolves, I think that's another chapter after the first game is out.

Nothing to ask, just here to show support. Keep on rocking and keep the hope alive brother! I have been a fan of your work since the early days of TA and have enjoyed every GPG release to date. I am behind you! As I have said to you before the wife and I are doing everything and anything we can to get the word out and support GPG and the team with all we have!

You know, I can't tell you how this kind of support makes me feel... I really hope I can return the favor one day.
U rock.

Hi Chris,
first off, I'm a fan. I love TA, SupCom, SupCom:FA and Dungeon Siege.
Also backed Wildman of course!
But I'd really like to know what went on with SupCom 2. It just doesn't feel like a Chris Taylor game. Has someone else had a big influence on that game's design?

I hit this point a few times, but in short... we made some big high level errors, like maps that were too small, and units that were too big. I'm pretty confident that if we did SC3 we'd get it right... but alas, hindsight is always 20/20.

Is Kevin still working at GPG? :)

The Punisher? Oh ya... I told him last week, you can never leave me Kevin!!! And I broke down into tears, he slapped me, and it all seemed to start getting better.

Lastly just want to say a big thank you for making TA and SupCom, 2 games that really came into their own with tough AI and mods, I can't think of any other RTS games that promotes coop and replayability on the RTS scene.

I'm very happy to hear that... Crazy as it sounds, I really want Wildman to be the third game in that list...

Good afternoon Mr. Taylor. I want to first thank you for doing this AMA; we at Reddit really appreciate you taking the time, so thank you.
For my question, can you go into more detail about the layoffs that have been done and how this will affect the future of Gas Powered Games?
Thanks in advance for any response

I didn't want folks to go without PTO and severance so I made a tough call to let them go. But in my heart, I knew that many would take the weekend to think about what they really wanted. We're much smaller now, but we're still here, and we're going to see the KS campaign through. What's weird, is that I think GPG would have truly been dead if I hadn't laid off the team, but of course there was no way for me to know what would happen. some have said that it was an elaborate scheme to manipulate people... I'm like, wow, you've got to be kidding me... anyone who could pull that off has much bigger balls than me. I am still shocked that anyone could even think that, especially people who know me... and I've been in the business 25 years, I've got a reputation, and I've never, ever, been known to pull that kind of ****.

OH, and the part I forgot to add... the entire industry has been alerted to what happened, and we've never received more attention from companies that are recruiting people... in other words, by getting media attention, we have the best chance to find jobs for those who are moving on. It's really a win-win situation.

Hey Chris , If your company manages to survive this unstable stage(Which I know it will, all of us fans are here to help in any way possible), to go on and complete Wildman for the fans, would you guys continue on a different path for game development, or is there a chance you guys would make maybe more large scale RTS games? which is a very dead genre and many RTS fans such as I and millions more thirst for more new large scale RTS games.

I would love to finish it one day. We just need a much bigger development budget. From what I've learned of KS in the past week, we'll never raise that money from crowdfunding, at least not anytime soon. But I'm open to all ideas!

I have one question that my degree is leading me to ask more and more often. I'm currently looking into systems engineering (aerospace perspective) for my senior project. I'm curious as to where does Wildman stand on a system/architectural level? The kickstarter and update videos cover many features you would like to bring to the table dependent on time and difficulty to implement.
Is there any way that we will be able to see a specifications/requirements document that the game will be designed to meet or will we hear more general claims and vague objectives that build hype but may not be fully realized?
last one, how much planning goes into concept development before anyone sits down at a keyboard to start writing code?

Wildman uses existing technology, so the risks are much smaller than creating a game from scratch. Our goal was to run the project in a very open way, perhaps more open that anyone has ever seen. However, I'm also trying to be realistic about it, because one of the ways we save money is by cutting down on management overhead, but if we spend all our time communicating with our backers, we might be right back where we started. I just don't have a good sense of... how much detail is too much, or too little?

What do you think about Planetary Annihilation?

I like the video a lot, but beyond that, I'm pretty skeptical... I know what it takes to make an RTS game. TA took 20 months, and I worked 7 days a week. SupCom 1 took 3.5 years and cost over 10 million. I don't think they stand a snowballs chance in hell to make that game.
But now that I've said that, they're really going to have to work extra hard to prove me wrong... good luck!!

Hello, i wonder what do you think about FAF? (Forged Alliance Forever)

You must already know that I love FAF. I will never, ever stop loving the community that supports TA, SC and SC:FA... never!!!

What's your criteria for hiring composers and sound designers?
I see you have Jeremy Soule up for composing the score for Wildman, how would you like to work with him to make sure production goes as smoothly as possible?

I've worked with Jeremy for so long, he was my first choice. I don't try and manage Jeremy, he does whatever he wants... talk about wild, he's a wild child, and he's brilliant. He'll deliver the music at 3am... that's how he works, and that's what I expect him to do for Wildman.

Hi Chris. Thanks for taking the time to open up like this. I hadn't heard of you or your company until you began working on Age of Empires Online. I am very pleased to be your backer.
Please describe the unreleased AOEO content that GPG had worked on. What were the Romans like? India? Anything else?
Is there any advice could you give AOEO's fans regarding a way to resurrect development? (Any chance at all MS would reconsider?)
I see the GPG had significant layoffs in October, 2012. When did you realize development was stopping for AOEO? How did that come about?
What do you foresee in the future of the Age of Empires Franchise?
What lessons have you learned from AOEO that you are bringing forward to Wildman?
GPG had a great team working with the AOEO community, and I cannot stress our appreciation. Thanks so much for all of that hard work.

Thanks for the support of Wildman!!
You'll have to ask MS, as I'm not allowed to speak of these things!
Again, this is MS IP, and they would be the ones to ask.
We knew a few months back, and did a fairly conservative round of layoffs in response, but we were hopeful more work contracts would be signed, but alas, this economy is really terrible.
I have no idea what MS plans to do next. They're very confidential.
We actually learned a lot working on Age, and despite me not being able to disclose any confidential stuff, I will say, they are a great bunch, and we loved working on the game. I think most of what we learned was in the area of free-to-play, and though Wildman isn't f2p, we still think there were some good general lessons that will help all of our design moving forward (and some development lessons too).

In wildman what do you think will be the resources for upgrading yourself/army and how far do you think the tech tree will go?

I like gold, others want to beat me, and come up with something else. I'm a very pragmatic designer, and think gold is fine, but I'm open to all ideas.
I think the tech can easily reach the medieval era.

Hey Chris, for one, i just have to thank you for making TA, and Supcom/FA, some of the best times i've ever had with a game. I'll thank you for Supcom 2 even though i personally found it disappointing as a sequel, but fun if i thought of it as it's own game.
Now i have to ask, what was the reasoning for pretty much breaking/disabling modding with the release of SupCom 2? i mean it WORKED in the beta/Demo!!! and we at BlackOps had major plans for it!(i know that now there is some level of modding now but personally it is to late)
anyway, best of luck with the current situation, know that you and GPG have my support all the way, if i could i would fund GPG on my own!

I wished I had a good answer, and I don't. I think we were just rushed. from a technical standpoint, I do know that making a game modable does take time and money, and in the interest of getting the game out on time, it probably fell off the bottom of the list. It's hard to make a business case to the publisher's these days to support modding.

You guys should look at what the guys at Caumoflaj did for their game "Republique". They went from 240k to goal in less than 2 days. Their kickstarter page
All the best! And I'm surprised by the amount of value each of the limited edition packs, they're so damn good!

Good idea... we'll check it out!

Hi M.Taylor! 1) May you make a KaC Kickstarter after Wildman future success? :D 2) Do you have plans to make a new game based on TA & SupCom, but with a different name since you don't own the licence anymore, or do you think that Planetary Annihilation is that game? I hope GPG will remain forever!

Yes, love to do K&C at some future point.
I like the idea of doing another RTS like TA, kinda going back to the roots, and creating a brand new IP.

Hey Chris I have to ask what happens if GPG doesn't reach the goal. What is next? How are you going to fund the project? I did fund wildman through KS and I do everything I can to get the word out there

We don't have the money to fund anything right now, and I spent a huge chunk paying out the severances. I think we'll have to explore the Web technology thing, or something that has a very low financial barrier of entry.

When will the interview with Matt (youtube) take place?

I believe that's this Friday!

Need a QA tester? I am an out of work tester in the Redmond area. May have even sold you some games if you happened to shop at the Bear Creek Gamestop from 2005-2009.

Send us your resume... but as you can imagine, it's a bit of a longshot. :)

Hey Chris, I just wanted to say that you gave a couple guest lectures at DigiPen and what you said really resounded with me and there were lessons in there that I take to heart today. So thank you! Also, Total Annihilation is still one of my all time favorite RTS games :)

Thanks... and I know I get really wild in those talks. Were you there when I was talking about families with 2.5 kids? That one half a kid who's screaming... because his guts are hanging out? That was really weird.

This isnt a question But Chris you in my oppinion have made the best RTS games to date so thank you countless hours of fun through my life :)

I love these non-questions!

Can you give us a hint of the lore behind Wildman?

Not much lore at this point, but I would love to have the backers help to create it. And Neal's also going to play a key role in that as well.

Thanks for the AMA!
Age of Empires Online was very nearly brilliant, and made me lust for a true sequel to the original series. It did a lot of things right, but the F2P/persistent element was extremely controversial to say the least - and marred the original release to the point where I don't think people gave it the attention it was due when you subsequently improved it. It also seems to have prevented any sort of competitive scene developing as occurred with previous instalments.
In light of Blizzard's success with Starcraft 2, do you think there's any chance of taking that series back to its roots? The huge popularity of Age of Empires 3 since its release on Steam paints a similar picture. I don't know how much influence Gas Powered Games has over the IP - and I appreciate you did not develop it in the first place - but it would be interesting to hear your opinion having handled it recently. It also seems like you're one of a handful of studios who "gets" the RTS genre who could be in a position to resurrect it...

Since MS owns the IP, they control it, and are the only ones who will be deciding what happens next. I have no idea what they'll do!

Hello, i've only got a small question.
Are you satisfied with Dungeon Siege 3?
Given the fact that it is (gameplay wise) completely different from DS2. Personally i really enjoyed DS2 and DS1 but DS3 is just (to say it bluntly) bad. I know GPG did not develope it but you did start the series..

Well, I thought they did a LOT right, the characters and story are awesome. However, I would have preferred they stuck with the same camera view... that's the true heart and soul of the game, but that wouldn't have worked on a console... whatcha gonna do?

Hi I have Supcom 1 on a disk should I play it?

lol... that's funny. PLAY IT!!!!

I don't have a question - just want to say that I've enjoyed countless hours of fun playing Total Annihilation, SupCom FA, and SupCom2. Thank you for your work!

Awesome. Thank you for your support... I like you!! (was that too much?)

Hey Chris! Just like to say that Dungeon Siege is one of the best games I have ever played (including Legends of Aranna) and it will ALWAYS be on my top 10 of all time list.
Quick question: Are there any funny stories you can tell us from when you were still making DS?

Ya, one time i locked my keys in my office and I asked James if I could hang him by his feet through the ceiling tile. The desk I was on collapsed from the weight and James was dangling, and Bart's desk snapped in half and his computer and all his **** was completely mangled. That was awesome.

Any plans on the future of Supreme Commander?
P.S. Sup Com 2 may be my favorite RTS of all time!

I can't answer that unfortunately, so instead, I'm just going to tell you that my favorite color is blue. And I'm drinking now.

actually it might be grreen.... ****, I can't remember my favorite color... scratch that.

1.Do you consider yourself creative? An artist? Any cool skills you teach or learn with your children?
2.What makes you enjoy computer games the most? What makes it fun for you?
3.Any advice for a person who considers himself very skilled, but creatively challenged on starting or not starting the gaming industry career?

I sorta do, ya. But if you saw the stuff I made in Minecraft, you'd disagree. I want to teach my kids how to code and work with electronics.
I miss computer games from the 90's, so game's today are far and few between that totally grab me, but I just loved BF1942. Man that game rocked... and might have been because I was good at it. that helps.
I say you jump in with both feet! Start coding, creating art, whatever... just do it. If it doesn't come out of your mind, then it's not the right thing for you.

Thanks for doing this, Chris.
Are there any plans to add Multiplayer to "WildMan"?
If so, how would it be designed - like Dota or, co-op ish like Torchlight 2.

Yes, after we do SP, we want to move next to COOP MP, and then PvP.
I would say Torchlight 2, but I'm only taking a flier here, as I'm not super familiar with it... but Wildman is an ARPG, so that's the main thing.

As a fan and games journo, I just want to say thank you for being so open. It's rare that you see company CEOs speak that freely about stuff. Very unfortunate to hear about your troubles, I hope it'll work out fine.
My questions: Do you think it is a good idea to rely on "niche" markets like RTS games? Is it worth risking the creative freedom and potentially the team's passion to make a game that's suited for a wider audience?
I kinda dislike the iOS trend right now. Lots of small developers making small games - that is awesome, but most of them aren't any good, groundbreaking or innovative. Do you think those small iOS apps are a waste of creativity and talent?

Sure, I love telling it like it is...
It's highly risky to go after the niche, but hey, I thought Kickstarter was going to be a good solution for it. If folks like it, they'd fund it, otherwise, you'd have to find another game... but I'm unsure if that's true now. And it's looking like KS is just for nostalgic games (when they are on the higher end of the cost scale).
ya, i know what you mean about iOS, but there are some really whacky creative games, but you have to sort through the gigantic mountain of them. I would love to just launch my Project Mercury platform and see if we could do something in the browser, and push the WebGL thing to the limits. I'm going to release a video on Mercury this week sometime just for fun.

What do you think the future of games is and how kickstarter figures in it? Will there be a rise of Indie Dev studios or is the market so bad that even if someone attempts to do so, they'll fail miserably?

I really don't know, and I'm usually very optimistic, but I'm worried, because if these PC Games on KS fail, we're going to have to live with iOS and FB games.

What is one of your favoriete movies in 2012?
If you could go anywhere in the world right now, without any limits where would you go?
Where do you see the future going in the next 10 years?

Hmmmmm....
Avengers.
A bar someplace in a tropical location, at the beach bar, with a drink in my hand... surrounded by naughty and flirtatious women who are making it no secret they want to have hot sex with me all night long... oh wait, there's my wife... oh hi honey, ummm, ya, I was just wondering when you were coming back from the bathroom.
I think games will be playable on a single button press, no updates, no patches, no DRM woes, just hit a button and play (oh and the game you play is actually good).

What are your thoughts on Planetary Annihilation? While watching the video advertising the game and the dev team all I could think of was "This game/team needs Chris Taylor"!
I know people who STILL go back and play TA by the way ... why nobody has managed to build a queue system that even compares to TA (let alone SC) I have no idea.

I don't know what to tell you about Planetary Annihilation... For all the people who have pledged in support of that game, I sure hope Uber doesn't F it up... and from the video, I'm looking forward to playing too!!

Last edited by Dynimix on 21 Jan, 2013, edited 32 times in total.

Reserved

Thanks for this, Just what I needed!

Hey GPG,

I was.... puzzled to say the least when I first heard you were pulling out of AoE Online, but after I read up on all the latest news about what the company is going through, it all makes perfect sense now.

I'm an old fan (Cavedog and Total Annihilation old) of your work and have played every game up to AoE Online and enjoyed every bit of it. I wanted to take the time to post something here to let you know I'm behind you all the way, even if it's just cheering you on from the sideline.

Although I'm currently stuck "kick starting" my own education, I really wish I could do something to help you guys out. It would be a tremendous shame to see yet another awesome independent game studio, one of my favorites at that, fall in these times. Nobody deserves failure, mistakes are what makes us human, after all.

Chris, stay true to yourself, you're doing great. I would have done the same in your situation. The livelihood of your employees comes before anything else. They are the backbone of your company after all, not the money. You have the heart of a true artist. I'm loving the transparency and honesty, the truth is always the way forward.

So don't give up, and even if everything falls down and it doesn't work out, in a figure of speech, it's better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees. (I'm looking at you, EA..)

Go wild, GPG! ;)

Yeah, no prob. Keep hitting refresh for the next little while as I am still adding to it. ;)

Forum Scout
Forum Scout

Xavathos wrote:
I was.... puzzled to say the least when I first heard you were pulling out of AoE Online, but after I read up on all the latest news about what the company is going through, it all makes perfect sense now.

They did not pull out of AoEO. It was Microsoft's decision to stop creating new content for AoEO. (It's their game after all, not GPG's.)

Spooky wrote:
Xavathos wrote:

They did not pull out of AoEO. It was Microsoft's decision to stop creating new content for AoEO. (It's their game after all, not GPG's.)

I know that now, but that's not the way it was stated at first on the AoEO forums. Which would come as no surprise, all things considered... It was misleading at first, that's all I meant to say.

Also I think GPG deserves more credit toward AoEO than they get for all the work they've put in, but that's just how it goes.

I think that is the end of it. Thanks everyone. Be sure to get some good discussion going!!

Thought this answer was pretty funny if you ask me.

Quote:
What is one of your favoriete movies in 2012?
If you could go anywhere in the world right now, without any limits where would you go?
Where do you see the future going in the next 10 years?

Hmmmmm....
Avengers.
A bar someplace in a tropical location, at the beach bar, with a drink in my hand... surrounded by naughty and flirtatious women who are making it no secret they want to have hot sex with me all night long... oh wait, there's my wife... oh hi honey, ummm, ya, I was just wondering when you were coming back from the bathroom.
I think games will be playable on a single button press, no updates, no patches, no DRM woes, just hit a button and play (oh and the game you play is actually good).

PostPosted: 22 Jan, 2013 

I thought that this was the best answer of the night as well!

Quick Tools

Search for:
Jump to:  

© 2002-2010 Gas Powered Games Corp. All Rights Reserved. Gas Powered Games is the exclusive trademark of Gas Powered Games Corp.