Login  Register

Where will you continue to play SC/FA multiplayer? (pick one or two)
Steam 29%  29%  [ 70 ]
FAF 47%  47%  [ 113 ]
LAN/Gameranger/Hamachi 18%  18%  [ 43 ]
Other 6%  6%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 241
 PostPosted: 19 Mar, 2012 

Community Manager
Community Manager

On March 1st, 2012 GPG was notified that support for GPGNet's backend services had been terminated. We apologize to our fans and players that we were unable to provide any advanced warning of this termination. After several weeks of inquiries, we have determined that resurrecting GPGNet will not be possible under current circumstances.

GPG was able to receive authorization from our publishing partners to grandfather ALL existing CD keys for both SC and FA into updated SC:Gold Editions on Steam. This means that even if you purchased only SC or FA in a boxed version, you can now redeem that key for BOTH games automatically updated to version 3603 utilizing Steam, and also take advantage of Steam's integrated matchmaking and chat services for free.

We understand that not all of the functionality you were accustomed to in GPGNet is present on Steam, naturally we were huge proponents of the innovations we created, but we encourage you to give Steam a try and get involved in the SC/FA community there.

As an alternative to Steam, there are significant community-driven initiatives for matchmaking services already operating. Among them at present, is FA:Forever (http://www.faforever.com/), which has built a strong following of fans and modders looking to extend features and matchmaking of the game.

These forums themselves are wholly owned and operated by GPG, and we hope players and fans will continue to use them to communicate, coordinate, and collaborate for many years to come.

GPG would deeply like to thank all the volunteers, admins, moderators, and tournament directors who have kept GPGNet running smoothly for so many years, and the fans who have been patient and understanding in the times when it wasn't.

Although this chapter is now closed, there is always the possibility that future discussions with publishers could open the door to resurrecting the platform in an updated fashion, and we will be keen on promoting the innovations that worked well for us.

The GPG Team

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hosting of Vault maps/mods/utilities is still being sorted out. For the near term, if you are able and interested to hosting the 8+ Gb of data from the Vault archives, please contact me directly at gpg-servo@gaspowered.com, and I will provide you access to the raw archive.

We are developing a longer-term solution to the problem, but will take any short-term assistance the community can offer us.

- Servo

I'm sad to see it go. Although, in my personal opinion, FAF is better, GPGnet was still very much revolutionary and I wish more games would have come out for it, because it's functionality was unique and added a great deal to the community.

GPG Employee
GPG Employee

This is sad news :( I can only say I was extremely lucky to have been able to be a part of such a great game and its online community. I miss you guys :)

Edit: I probably shouldn't have the employee badge anymore.

I wish i couldve started playing FA earlier, but my connection never allowed it, could never connect to games. even on dorm internet im unable to connect to FAF games. as such, i voted steam/lan, because the matchmaking on steam works for me. i really wish the steam workshop could be integrated into FA, but thats probably a pipe dream.

I'll definitely use my key to obtain the steam version, however I will play wherever everyone else plays more. Sad to see GPGNet go, it was one of those things that got me into rts and opened my mind (and my nerves) to playing multiplayer games against actual people. Met my awesome clan there and a few guys that always tended to chat. I hope you guys fair better in the future and keep being awesome :D

I have no idea what my key is :P

PostPosted: 20 Mar, 2012 

DeadMG wrote:

Me too, lost that long ago.

Jack Daniels wrote:
DeadMG wrote:

Me too, lost that long ago.

GPGnet has this key recovery feature that... ih, wait. :cry:

But Forged Alliance is just about $5 on Amazon now.

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, North America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Probably a stupid question, but how do we use our keys in Steam?

You can register a non-steam game as a steam game in the add games menu (it's one of the three or four options you have there)

Thygrrr wrote:
You can register a non-steam game as a steam game in the add games menu (it's one of the three or four options you have there)

I did that a long time ago (for whatever reason :roll: ), and it's still counting it as a non-steam game (meaning no Steam matchmaking, which is what I want it for).

Forum Scout
Forum Scout

splattedone wrote:
Thygrrr wrote:

I did that a long time ago (for whatever reason :roll: ), and it's still counting it as a non-steam game (meaning no Steam matchmaking, which is what I want it for).

"Games - Activate a Product on Steam..." is the correct option.

Oh noo ,

I was so optimism :( Well it's over now.

This was the greatest and BEST ,of course you say now "OMG prince you have Steam(crap) ,FAF ( The chat isn't enough moderated) and Hamachi( Eh no ).
GPGnet was a part of FA and without it ,it's not the same.

Yes,that means I will leave the forums here and FAF :/
I will check FAF maybe in the 1.0 version to see what happened :)

It was a pleasure to serve as Chat-Mod and Tournament Director and I would like to thank Freshy,Viking,MagicDoc,Valk,Koecher,Voodoo ,Ubergeek and the rest of the nice FA community for the best Online time which I had :)

Now I would thank Servo and Ninja for their AWESOME support for GPGnet in the past !!!!

Ok next thing... Chris .... I'm disappointed that you never had time in the last years to meet us :( I hope you will read some posts in this topic!

Hum .. well ,I'm not good at writing and Goodbye Storys and I know that no one will miss me ^^
-
Okay I guess this is all .. Ah and By The Way!
If you wanna have me in Skype or just my e-mail send a pm to me, I will be here until Sunday.

---
Sincerely your purple,crazy,braindead Prince :)

Last edited by Prince on 20 Mar, 2012, edited 2 times in total.

Prince wrote:
...FAF ( The chat isn't enough moderated)...

yeah sure... most important is moderated chat... NOT^^

Thanks for the update, Servo. I hope you don't mind but I posted this thread on the Steam forums for those who were wondering how the activation of SC+FA is working.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... 291&page=4

Spooky wrote:
splattedone wrote:
Thygrrr wrote:

Tried that before posting. My FA key doesn't work and I can't find my vanilla key to try it.

splattedone wrote:
Spooky wrote:
splattedone wrote:
Thygrrr wrote:

Tried that before posting. My FA key doesn't work and I can't find my vanilla key to try it.

Steam only needs your fa key and the way you input is kind matters for soem weird reason :(.
GPG-Servo wrote:
Hosting of Vault maps/mods/utilities is still being sorted out. For the near term, if you are able and interested to hosting the 8+ Gb of data from the Vault archives, please contact me directly at gpg-servo@gaspowered.com, and I will provide you access to the raw archive.
We are developing a longer-term solution to the problem, but will take any short-term assistance the community can offer us.
- Servo

Oh and this longer term solution please do releve :D
PM and email sent for achive of vault data :)

GPGnet Vault

reddev32 wrote:
splattedone wrote:
Spooky wrote:
splattedone wrote:
Thygrrr wrote:

Steam only needs your fa key and the way you input is kind matters for soem weird reason :(.

Could you.... explain? How should I be putting it in?

i think it was xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
or xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I can't rember it was a while ago cause i got bored of waiting for cd to install just for faf :P

as for the new key steam might not have inputted them into there system yet. but that should of been sorted soon if not contact them and they will help thurfer.

GPGnet Vault

Forum Commander
Forum Commander

The way you input it doesn't matter especially not since the latest Steam patch. It is possible not all keys are grandfathered yet.

Well, seems like that it :?

So all thats left for me to do is to thank you all guys for a lot of good games and a lot of fun in the chat during the last years :)

Next to this, another big thanks to all the Volunteers! You where the once who made all the fun possible. :)

And lets not forget Servo, IT-Ninja and the Rest of the GPG-Team who spend a lot of effort in this Platform. Thank you for this! :)

*RIP* GPGnet, we will never forget you. You are just unreachable :(

Legion Darrath wrote:
The way you input it doesn't matter especially not since the latest Steam patch. It is possible not all keys are grandfathered yet.

I'll have to hope that's it and try again later, I suppose. After that, I'll see about contacting Steam support.

You will be missed GPGnet I'd personally like to thank all the GPGnet crew & I will always look back at those times and tell other little FA newblings for years to come "GPGnet, man I was there"

I recommend to any other GPGnet refugees, come over to FAF, it's not perfect, but it's quite close to what GPGnet was back in it's Halcyon days. There's a lot of us there now.

7-8 years of Supcom on gpgnet its an era gone really a shame good old gpgnet TIMES will never beforgoten :)

GPGnet Vault

Quick Tools

Search for:
Jump to:  

© 2002-2010 Gas Powered Games Corp. All Rights Reserved. Gas Powered Games is the exclusive trademark of Gas Powered Games Corp.